Bar None Goat's Milk Soap  

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Although the original concept behind Feral Moon was to create soaps and other bath and body products that when used, you said, "WOW, I love this!", a great part hopefully due to the scent and color, on August 20, I decided to create a soap that had NO scent or color. Why, you ask? Well I'm sure that every one of us knows someone who is super sensitive to either aromas or additives of some sort. Since I'm a firm believer of having something for everyone, I wanted to make a soap that was ultra gentle with nothing to irritate people with sensitivities. And that is Bar None. My ingredients are as follows:

goat's milk

extra virgin olive oil
palm oil
palm kernel oil
coconut oil
castor oil

No fragrance, no color, no harsh ingredients of any type. With all those things taken away, I had to add something to make up for it. Extra goat's milk for extra gentleness! That accounts for the darker soap color. When you use goat's milk, a brown color occurs naturally due to both the lye heating the milk up before saponification and the extra heat generated during the insulation/curing stage. In this case, I forced the cure by cooking the soap in the oven, so the brown color is more due to that then due to anything else as I controlled the heat caused by the lye by using frozen goat's milk and an ice bath.

I also kept the palm kernel oil and the coconut oil at low amounts in the recipe to make certain the soap was gentle and non-drying. Due to the decreased coconut oil, there is a little less lather. I think the average cure weight for this batch was around 3.5 ounces.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 People had Something to Say: to “ Bar None Goat's Milk Soap ”

Thank you for visiting us today!